Personal Information

Skip navigation

You are here: Homepage > FOI Fundamentals > Making a Request > Personal Information

What are my rights in relation to my own personal information?

The FOI Law gives you the right to request your own personal information. When people ask for their own personal information and feel they have received documents that are inaccurate, out of date or misleading, they can request that the personal information be corrected or an explanation given. If the government ministry or department refuses, then a reason must be stated.

Amendment of Personal Information

The Law gives you recourse when you believe that the information given is incorrect, incomplete, out-of-date or misleading. You can then request, in writing, that your personal information be amended or have notes of explanation added. Where an agency may decide not to take the requested action, it must tell you what you can do next to further your claim.

Download an application form for amendment of your personal information

Last Updated: 2008-11-20